Sunday, January 31, 2010

It's Greek to me.

I have to admit, when I bought my house I didn't know a lot about Greek Revival style. I had previously lived in a condominium in a Greek Revival house that had a large porch across the front but my new house was oriented differently. This is that Greek Revival house with its flank side turned to the street.

It wasn't until I came across this house (below left) by Harvard University that I really understood what my house should look like. I've pasted the two photos next to each other so you can see what my house should look like. My porch is missing and all the characteristic details have been presumably covered up by the vinyl siding...at least I'm hoping they're still there. I'm excited to find this example of Greek Revival architecture so I can use it as model to restore my house.

As it turns out, there are quite a few other examples of the Greek Revival style right in the city so I'll set out to find them. I'll also see if the local Historical Commission can help.

2 comments:

  1. Just found your post and LOVE everything that you have done with this house. I wish MORE people had your devotion to old houses. so THANK YOU!

    My Great-Grandmother, Grandmother and Mother grew up in a beautiful Greek Revival in Cambridge too. It has always been my favorite style home. In your travels around , check out the house at 227 Concord Ave, it is no longer a house which saddens me but at least it has been restored and they did a nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know about that house! I thought I knew all the Greek Revivals but that one wasn't on my radar.

    ReplyDelete